It wouldn’t be Christmas without caroling, except in places where it’s not a Christmas tradition. Years ago when I was in Britain, going to school at Harlaxton College, a group decided to go out caroling in the nearby village and I went along even though I can’t carry a tune in a bucket. There was a home in the village that had a pond that was home to three-thousand ducks, though, and every day after lunch I’d take some bread and walk up there and feed the ducks. They must have recognized my voice because as the group marched along singing the ducks came out and joined us in “Here We Come A-Waddling”, but that’s another story. The strange thing is people who lived in the village were baffled by a group caroling just for fun and thought we were collecting for charity so they kept trying to offer us money, and by the third house I’d collected ten pounds. Anyway see if you can identify these Christmas carols just from a few of the words.
1. The horse was lean and lank
Misfortune seemed his lot
He got into a drifted bank
And then we got upsot.
2. Myrrh is mine, its bitter perfume
Breathes of life of gathering gloom
3. And ye, beneath life’s crushing load,
Whose forms are bending low,
Who toil along the climbing way
With painful steps and slow…
4. We’ll have lots of fun with mister snowman,
Until the other kids knock him down.
5. And surely ye’ll be your pint-stoup!
And surely I’ll be mine!
6. Bring me flesh and bring me wine
Bring me pine logs hither…
7. The bells on Penguins ring,
Make Riddler wanna fight…
8. Don’t cry for me next door neighbor…
9. May we warm him, needy and lying on hay,
With our pious embraces
10. Bring us out a mouldy cheese,
And some of your Christmas loaf.
11. Goreu pleser ar nos galan,
Tŷ a thân a theulu diddan…
12. The boar’s head, as I understand,
Is the rarest dish in all this land…
13. Somebody waits for you,
Kiss her once for me.
14. There’ll be scary ghost stories
And tales of the glories of
Christmases long, long ago…
And before you get to the answers go to Mum Revised for a hilarious and accurate list of Twelve Additional Christmas Songs That Deserve to be Removed from the Radio.